Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Fall Veggie Update

The fall veggie garden got off to a very late start this year, but the veggies are almost ready for harvest.  I purchased 4 inch transplants of broccoli and cabbage in early September, but couldn’t bring myself to plant them due to the heat.  After potting them up in 1 gallon containers, I left them sitting in a shady spot until planting them the first weekend in October.

Broccoli Florets Forming



Cabbage Head Forming

When I was finally ready to plant in October, I made another trip to the nursery for Chinese cabbage and Brussels Sprouts transplants.  The Chinese cabbage is starting to head and if you look closely at the Brussels Sprouts photo you can see the beginnings of future sprouts.

Chinese Cabbage


Brussels Sprouts Plant
 
Close-up Brussels Sprouts Forming

The rutabagas I started from seed in early September will be ready for harvest toward the end of December and into January.

Garden Bed of Rutabagas

 
Rutabaga Plant Close-up

Planted on the last weekend in October the kale and chard are making good progress.  The garlic, which was planted on November 5th, sprouted up quickly.

Kale

Swiss Chard (front) and Garlic (back)


3 comments:

  1. Lovely. Are you doing anything to control cabbage worms? They have pretty much eaten most of my kale.

    Cindy S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I treated for worms a week or two after my initial planting, but the worms came back. Treating regularly with BT is usually pretty effective, but I just haven't had the time for the follow on applications. Almost all of my plants have been nibbled. Whenever I'm in the garden I look for worms and grab any big juicy ones that I can find. The girls (my hens) love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful garden update! Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete