Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Sweet Smell of Lavender

Lilacs remind me of my childhood, but lavender is the fragrance my adult senses crave.  I love everything about lavender.  I could just roll around in it like a big Labrador Retriever.  Fortunately, it won’t come to that, since I’m well stocked with lavender scented lotions, soaps and candles. 

Lavender plants are beautiful in the garden.  They are drought tolerant and grow well in our climate and soils.  With over 30 species of lavender, there's lots to choose from.
  


Lavender has a calming scent that eases stress and relaxes the body.  People have used lavender for years for its fragrance and medicinal properties.  You can even eat it as I found out when I attended the Blanco Lavender Festival.  The lavender margaritas were actually pretty good.

When the cold weather set in earlier this month, I decide to preserve some of the wonderful fragrance by drying my own lavender.  I cut bouquets of flowers and bound them with rubber bands, then, hung them to dry for about a week or two.


Today I used the flowers to make lavender scented sachets.  Sachets are great to hang in a closet or place in drawer to freshen up clothes.  Some lucky friends of mine, might be getting these for Christmas, so if you read my blog, just act surprised.


No comments:

Post a Comment