Tuesday, February 10, 2015

My Girls Love Market Day

Sunday is market day! That's when I harvest the freshest and best looking produce in my garden and take my wares to the Hope Farmer's Market. Produce has to arrive at the market by 10:30 a.m., so as soon as the coffee is drunk, it's time to grab my high tech harvest wagon and head to the garden for an inspection.


The last remaining kohlrabi from my first planting are ready for harvest. A succession planting was done to ensure I'll have kohlrabi straight through the spring.


Warm temperatures are causing my purple cauliflower to expand rapidly. Most people prefer a tight head of cauliflower, so the looser ones will find their way to my table.



This year I did not blanch my cauliflower by tying the leaves around the head to keep the head white and pristine. Most of the heads still look great, but some had some minor staining. 



The kale is doing great this year. This dinosaur kale (Brassica oleracea) does best at the market, because it does not easily wilt and looks great all day.


The rutabaga are not as big as I'd like, so they can wait another week to two before they go to market.


I have lots of multiplying onions, but no time to deal with them this morning. I like to replant 1 out of 4 onions when I harvest to ensure production continues on. Replanting takes a little time, so they can wait till next week.


The produce that's ready to go to the market gets loaded into the wagon, while all the excess leaves get loaded into the wheelbarrow for my girls (i.e. my chickens).



"Market Day! We love market day!" says my hungry hens.


That's quite a pile of produce girls! Enjoy!


Cabbage that needs a little spritzing goes off to my high tech washing and drying station.


Finally, my hubby, who is king of crating, boxes up the goods for transport and loads them into the car.



My produce is harvested and delivered to the market in a matter of just a few hours. That's fresh! If you're in Austin, Texas and looking for the freshest, tastiest produce, stop by and see us on Sundays from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Yard to Market booth.


6 comments:

  1. Your veggies look amazing and I love your new fence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you noticed the new fence. Richard and I fenced both gardens in one day. It was one of those epic gardening work days that leave you feeling like you got hit by a bus, but something had to be done quickly. Those rascally pups figured out how to jump over, around and through the temporary fence I installed last spring. I have no idea why my garden is so interesting to them when they have 2 acres to romp around on, but hopefully, the problem is solved. As an added bonus, with any luck I won't have armadillo problems this year either.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, your veggies do look amazing, and I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has been an excellent winter garden. The extra rain and reasonably mild weather has definitely helped make for good harvests.

      Delete
  3. So many healthy, beautiful greens! You must be a hit at the Farmer's Market. Your chickens are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fortunate that my produce sells out every week. The co-op has done an excellent job marketing CSA baskets and now we're selling to schools and restaurants as well. Me and the chickies are quite happy with the arrangement.

      Delete